Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"You are married to your dad!?!"

In the past two years, I have come to realize that the fact that I am NOT married is hard for my students to grasp. I guess young children assume that all teachers are married with children.
The following conversation happened on my very first day of school.

Student 1: "Are you married?"

Me: "No. Not yet."

Student 2: "When you get married will your husband's name be Mr. Guinn?"

Me: "Oh no. My dad's name is Mr. Guinn. When I get married, my name will change."

Student 1: "You are married to your dad!?!?"

Me: "No! My name is the name I was given when I was born and when I get married it will change. Right now my dad and I have the same last name."

Student 2: "Do you have a daughter?"

Me: "No"

Student 1: "Do you have a son?"

Me: "NO! I do not have a husband, daughter, or son."

Student 3: (Turns to the two students who had been talking this entire time and says:)
"Who's the wise guy that made her a teacher."

No comments:

Post a Comment